Open houses are a great way to show off your home to buyers who may not be working with a Realtor or who are just starting to look. They’re also a good way for Realtors to preview your home for potential buyers. Since most Open Houses are held on the weekends, typically Sundays, it’s a great way for Buyers and Realtors to see a lot of houses at one time during daytime hours.
Getting ready for an Open House is like getting ready for a showing. Put your best game face on and make an extra effort. Sellers and pets should not be home during an open house! Here are some tips for how to prepare for your open house.
- Turn ON every light in the home
- Open all blinds and window coverings for maximum light (unless there are privacy or view issues, then keep partially open to let light in)
- Spray and wipe bathroom and kitchen counters
- Quick vacuum high traffic areas (if time)
- Fluff couch pillows, place throw strategically, organize coffee table
- Fire in fireplace if appropriate
- Close TV cabinet doors
- Set out clean white “dress” towels in bathroom
- Toilet seats down
- Straighten and fluff beds and pillows in all bedrooms
- Keep music on low (use satellite music on TV if necessary)
- Use fresh flowers during home selling months and place them through out home
- Make sure the home is comfortable temperature for season
- All ceiling fans should be on low or Off
- All doors in house should be open EXCEPT closet doors (unless walk in)
- Remove any pet dishes, litter boxes completely
- Empty all garbage cans (especially in kitchen)
- Quickly go through the home and pick up extra toys, clothes etc.
- Remove any front lawn debris, toys, trash cans, pet debris etc.
- Garage doors down and front door open.
- Clean and tidy entry, make sure doormat is in good shape and looks welcoming.
- Park cars down the street away from driveway and front of house to give buyers clear view of homeIf you’re selling by owner, have two of you to answer questions and for security.
- It’s not a bad idea to have some bottled water hand and if you’re really ambitious you can bake some cookies for your open house folks!